LXD and live migration / Canonical needs support for CRIU
LXD is a container “hypervisor”, its similiar to
XEN, KVM, VirtualBox or VMWare if you use it Linux only.
Lex-dee is a full stack os hypervisor while Docker’s main focus lays on app containerisation.
Some of the main features of LXD are:
- Live Migrations (Move one container to another Host while its running)
- Secure by design
- Intuitive to use
- Its image based
- Supports limits (Max memory, CPU, disk IO)
- Support for multiple network interfaces, by macvlan or bridges
- Support for bind mounts and mounting block devices into containers
- On ZFS and BTRFS containers take only a little space
Nice features, not? But there’s a catch, Canonical isn’t supporting the live Migration work anymore:
Please tell Canonical that you need LXD live migrations if your a paying customer of Canonical or if you get one!
P.s.: XEN, KVM, Virtualbox and VMWare is ofc more secure than containers, we should compare it to Docker, OpenVZ, Virtuozzo and FreeBSD jail.